The Hawks on Wednesday said that the unit was following leads that could assist in nabbing suspects behind the First National Bank (FNB) R1,7 million heist.
Hawks’ Ndivuho Molamu said that they were working with internal and other external forensics about the heist that took place at FNB’s Parktown branch on New Years Eve.
The suspects stole R1,7 million and emptied 30 safety deposit boxes on New Years Eve in Parktown.
Two weeks earlier on December 18, more than 250 safety deposit boxes were stolen at FNB in Randburg and discovered in an open veld.
In both heists, criminals gained entry by drilling through a wall to access the vaults. The suspects were wearing balaclavas and gloves during the robbery Molamu said.
Lee-Anne Van Zyl, CEO of FNB said that there was no “ indication” that the recent robberies were related, saying they were working “closely with the South African Police Services (SAPS) and the Organised Crime Unit to thoroughly investigate the incidents,” Van Zyl said.
A Facebook group called ‘FNB Heist Victims’ was created for victims to share their experiences and support each other.
Ilja Graulich is a victim of the heist and is unhappy with the way FNB is handling this matter. He says the Facebook page is active and some people have tried to get answers from FNB after the bank went silent on the matter.
According to Graulich there hasn’t been any communication from the bank.
There are about 200 people who have joined the Facebook group, who are all affected by the heist, says Graulich.
We’re just waiting for answers and it is just incredible that FNB, there has been a complete and utter silence from the bank.
— Ilja Graulich, FNB heist victim